Filing for Office
Requirements to File for Local Office:
- Must be an eligible voter
- Must be at least 21 years old when assuming office
- Must reside in their districts for at least 30 days before the General Election
- Must have no other affidavit on file for any other elected office
- Must pay $20 filing fee for local election (Filing Fees vary for other offices)
- Must file an Affidavit of Candidacy form in the Office of the City Clerk
- Must complete and file Campaign Finance Reports
Filing Dates for 2018 City Council Election:
(MN Statute 20513, subdivision 1a)
- Opens: May 22, 2018
- Closes: June 5, 2018 at 5 p.m.
- Affidavits of Withdrawl are due to the City Clerk by June 7, 2018 by 5 p.m. (MN Statutes 20513, subd. 6).
- The filing fee is not refundable (MN Statute 204B.11)
- Local Races
Burnsville City Hall
100 Civic Center Parkway, Burnsville, MN 55337
- County Races
Dakota County Treasurer-Auditor in Hastings: County Offices
State offices where the entire district is in Dakota County
- State/Federal Races
Minnesota Secretary of State
For additional information contact Burnsville's Office of the City Clerk at 952-895-4490 or via email.
Minnesota Campaign & Public Disclosure Board
Candidates that file with the City of Burnsville for local races will receive a packet of information containing materials regarding campaigning, signage, a precinct map and information on where other material may be obtained. This packet will be reviewed with the candidates at the time of filing.
Fair Campaign Practices:
- May be posted from June 10 until ten days following the General Election. (MN State Statute 211B.045)
- May not be placed upon public lands or any street rights of way or on private property without the permission of the owner or lessee. (10-30-3/10-30-4 of the Burnsville City Code)
- Posters must verify Dakota County's policy on placement of signs.
Campaign Financial Reporting Requirements:
During a year when the candidate's name is on the ballot, at least three finance reports must be filed:
- 10 days before the primary or special primary.
- 10 days before the General Election or Special Election.
- 30 days after the General or Special Election.
Initial Finance Report
- Must be filed within 14 days of receiving or disbursing contributions of more than $750.
- Required by January 31 of each year and until a Final Report is filed.
- Filed by a candidate or committee when all debts have been settled and all assets in excess of $100 in the aggregate are disposed of.
Certification of Filing Report
- Filed no later than 7 days after the General Election.
- Required by all elective office candidates (except judicial candidates).
Filing Dates for Statement of Economic Interest:
- Within 14 days after filing an affidavit of candidacy; and
- Within 60 days of accepting employment.
- While in office, Supplementary Statements are filed annually by January 25 (new date effective 2016).